School Counselors are committed to supporting the personal growth of students within an educational setting.
As a result, school counselors support the goals of the Owen J. Roberts School District. School Counselors coordinate a program of
counseling and consultation services to do the following: assist students in attaining academic success; identify students in need of additional
resources; and create school-wide programs to meet emerging needs.
An Elementary Counselor helps children be successful in school by:
- Helping children develop self-confidence
- Helping children develop social skills
- Helping children learn problem solving skills
- Helping children feel safe in a friendly, nurturing environment
- Being an accepting, helpful person to whom children can turn.
An Elementary Counselor helps school staff by:
- Working with the Instructional Support Team.
- Providing a longitudinal view of each child.
- Being a resource through the consultative process.
- Providing resource materials
- Being a liaison between home and school.
An Elementary Counselor helps parents by:
- Counseling with parents.
- Advising parents of strategies for school support.
- Providing resource materials.
- Helping parents understand developmental growth of children.
How does the Elementary Counselor help?
- By conducting guidance class visits.
- By working with the Instructional Support Team.
- By providing individual and small group counseling.
- By fostering informal contacts.
- By consulting with resource people.
- By maintaining school records.