Word Study - Sort Directions:
· Cut out the words.
· Place the HEADERS (underlined words) in a row on the table.
· State the discovery (or “rule”) for each header. Ex: “These words end with –at; these words end with -an.”
· Choose a word/picture, read it OUT LOUD, and sort it under the proper header.
Continue until all words are sorted.
· Read up the words in each column to make sure the word truly belongs there. The words should Look and Sound the same, depending on the “rule” of the sort.
· Repeat the discovery once you reach the header.
Additional optional activities:
· Make a list of other words that would fit the SORT pattern. Students would even try to find these in books they are reading.
· Practice assessment: Parent calls out a word and child spells/writes it correctly. To make this as much like our assessment as possible, divide the paper into columns as we do the sort. We want to see students record the word in the correct spot with the correct spelling.