Food Services Back to School Information 2020-2021 School Year
As the new school year gets underway, we couldn’t be happier to have the opportunity to serve breakfast and lunch to students every day. Over the course of the year, we will be gradually introducing new menu options, gathering feedback and making other changes to enhance the mealtime experience.
Even though we understand plans may continue to evolve, we want you to know that the one thing that won’t change is our commitment to create the best dining experience for students and keep mealtime safe, happy and healthy for everyone. During these unprecedented times, we have worked diligently, putting together a program that will allow all students the opportunity to eat breakfast and lunch every day. Please see this program, in detail, as an attachment to this letter.
Health and Safety Remains a Priority
While the logistics and location for how meals will be served may be different, students, staff and parents can have peace of mind knowing that Chartwells K12’s plans are rooted in the most stringent health and safety practices aligned with federal and state regulations, along with the Chester County Health Department recommendations. All Chartwells K12 associates will participate in COVID-19 specific trainings and undergo protocols before each workday, and will follow strict guidelines for glove, mask and physical distancing protocols.
Resources Available at Your Fingertips
For all information, regarding OJR food services, please refer to the Food Service website under Departments on https://www.ojrsd.com/foodservice. Some quick links are listed here.
Food Service Program 2020-2021 School Year: Food Service Program 2020-2021 School Year
Breakfast and Lunch Menus using Nutrislice: https://ojrsd.nutrislice.com/
Free and Reduced Application: https://www.schoolcafe.com/OwenJRobertsSD
Reimbursable Meal Components: https://www.ojrsd.com/Page/7910
Meal Prices and Charge Policies: https://www.ojrsd.com/Page/6882
SchoolPay Payment Program (Curbside Meal Pick-up Registration: www.schoolpay.com
Prices for 2020-2021 School Year
Middle School - $1.70
High School - $1.75
Reduced price breakfast - $0.30 at all schools
Elementary - $2.90
Middle School - $3.10
High School - $3.40
Reduced price lunch - $0.40 at all schools
A meal consists of five (5) meal program components: a meat/protein, a bread/starch, a vegetable, a fruit and a milk. A student must take at least three (3) different components, one (1) must be a fruit or vegetable, in order to purchase a meal. If fewer than three (3) components are chosen a la carte pricing must be charged. Regardless of meal eligibility status (paid/free/reduced), all additional meals on the same day will be sold at a la carte prices
Our POS System & Software provides complete confidentiality for all students’ meal status, whether paid, free or reduced.
- Students are issued a Personal Identification Number (PIN) by the School District.
- The PIN must be used for all cafeteria POS transactions, including Cash Sales.
- Student accounts are set up as an Open Account (unrestricted purchases). If you wish, you may set your student’s accounts as Meals Only (no a la carte purchases) or May Not Charge (student would need money on account or cash to make purchases). Please contact the Food Service Office to have these changes made.
- Students are able to purchase or charge a reimbursable meal at each breakfast and lunch. No student will ever be denied a reimbursable meal.
- CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE* A la carte items are not sold or charged if a student has insufficient funds to cover the cost of the items they wish to purchase.
- Please refer to the OJRSD Cafeteria Charge Policy for further information on Charging Meals.
- CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE* Daily cash sales are accepted. Accounts may be funded by cash, check or money order.
- Participation in the debit system via SchoolPay is required. Instructions for setting up SchoolPay account(s) is on the District Website.
- Payments made via SchoolPay may take up to one (1) hour to show in our POS.
- Auto-replenishment or e-mail notifications for a low-balance threshold (designated by the parent) can be set up in SchoolPay.
- Purchase history by student is available on SchoolPay.
- CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE* Checks and money orders should be made payable to: OJRSD Food Service.
- Checks returned by the bank will be charged-back in full, plus any applicable fees, to the student’s account.
- Food Services reserves the right to insist upon cash or money order payments after a maximum of three (3) returned checks on any student’s account.
- POS Balances are transferred to students’ accounts throughout the District in each successive year.
- No cash refunds are issued to students at any time. Refunds will be issued to parents, upon request, via the original payment method. Please email, Stephanie Shoemaker at email@example.com.
*Currently unavailable for food service reopening due to safety and health protocols. Notification of availability will be communicated.
Free and Reduced Meal Applications
Free and Reduced Price Meals are available to families who qualify. To apply please complete an application by visiting schoolcafe.com or obtain a paper application from the school office(s). For school year 2020-2021, the grace period for free/reduced applications has been extended to October 20, 2020. Please make sure to reapply before this deadline for free/reduced meals throughout the year.
Special Dietary Needs
If a student has a food allergy or medical condition, parents must send a written doctor’s note to the school nurse. For dietary substitutions, federal regulations require students to have a written doctor’s note. The nurse will forward this information to food service personnel. This information will be entered into the POS so that the cashier may be discretely alerted once the student’s ID number has been entered. Should a student need a special dietary menu to meet their needs, please schedule a meeting with the food service director at (610)469-5127.
All parent requests should be updated annually for student requirements or restrictions that do not require a doctor’s note. To do this, parents must notify the food service offices at 610-469-5701.
Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Heather Bonner, OJR District Director of Dining Services