What is the Instructional Support Process?
Instructional Support is a process to maximize individual student success, while at the same time serving as a screening process for students who may be in need of specialized education services. Instructional Support is a positive, success-oriented program which uses specific assessment and intervention techniques to help remove educational or behavioral stumbling blocks for all students in the regular classroom. The process consists of a team working together to identify the student’s needs, set goals, and develop an intervention plan to achieve those goals. The Instructional Support Facilitator, administrators, faculty, and parents are all members of the Instructional Support Team.What is the Function of the Instructional Support Facilitator?
The Instructional Support Facilitator provides informal collaborative support to parents, teachers, and students. Once a formal “Request for Instructional Support Team Collaboration” has been made, the Instructional Support Facilitator works with the referring teacher/grade level team, parents, and student to implement the process. Duties may include:
What Are the Benefits of Instructional Support?
- data collection and maintenance of records
- curriculum-based assessments
- perform classroom observations
- conduct interviews with parents, teachers, and students
- establish meeting schedules
- assist the Team in identifying concerns and goals
- monitor the intervention plan
- coordinate efforts of teachers, parents, and outside agencies
- model strategies for students, teachers, or parents
- coordinate referrals for available services
- Identifies students in need of academic, emotional and/or behavioral support.
- Identifies students at risk of failure through a variety of screening methods and referral procedures.
- Provides initial and timely assistance to teachers, students, and parents.
- Uses a team approach that always encourages parent participation.
- Systematically searches to identify and prioritize problems as well as strategies to assist students.
- Monitors the progress of the student.
- Evaluates progress and determines recommendations.
Additional Resources and Information:
The OJRMS Guidance deparment works collaboratively with Instructional Support to provide mental health resources and support for students and families.
For more information please visit:
https://www.ojrsd.com/Page/8292The Middle School Instructional Support Facilitator for 7th and 8th Grade:Mrs. Dana Breedendbreeden@ojrsd.com610.469.5522