If your child participates in Medicare (aka Medical Assistance or MA) or Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP), please be aware that annual renewals are being reinstated. Ensure that your contact information is up to date with the Department of Human Services.
During the Pandemic Health Emergency, in order to insure continuity of insurance, MA and CHIP accounts renewed automatically. The Health Emergency has ended.
Due to a change in Federal law, these insurance accounts will return to their regular annual renewal schedules.
If your child has MA or CHIP, you should contact the Department of Human Service’s Customer Service Center at 1-877-395-8930 to update your contact information. You can also make changes online by logging into your COMPASS Portal: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/compass.web/Public/CMPHome
Since renewal packets are mailed to the home address on record, and must be completed in a timely manner; it is critical that the PA Department of Human Services has your correct mailing address and contact information on file.
Once your child’s account comes up for renewal (sometime between April 1, 2023 - April 1, 2024), the Chester County Assistance Office will mail a renewal packet to the home address on file.
Once received, follow the directions in that packet to complete your renewal.
The information below is directly from the Department of Human Services site, but is included below for quick reference.
Visit their site https://www.dhs.pa.gov/phe/Pages/default.aspx for additional details:
It is very important that you complete and return your renewal by the due date listed in your packet, even if nothing has changed.
By completing your renewal, DHS can keep your state health coverage open or connect you to other affordable health coverage options if you are no longer eligible for Medicaid or CHIP. There are four ways you can complete and submit
- By mail — Complete and return the forms by mailing them back in the provided envelope
- Online — Complete your renewal online in COMPASS
- Telephone — Call 1-866-550-4355 to talk to a customer service representative
- In-Person — Complete and submit your renewal in person at any local county assistance office (CAO)
- Completing your renewal will help DHS determine if you are still eligible for health coverage through the state. If you are still eligible, your Medicaid or CHIP coverage will continue. If you are no longer eligible, you will be automatically referred to Pennie®Opens In A New Window.
Did your Medicaid or CHIP coverage end because you didn't submit a renewal? You can restore your coverage if you submit your renewal within 90 days of the end date on your closure notice. If you are no longer eligible, you can visit www.pennie.com to find other affordable coverage options.
More About Pennie (PA Insurance Marketplace)