The Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) works to make OJR a safe and accepting school community for all students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. All students are welcome to attend meetings. Topics related to the LGBTQ+ community, both within and outside of OJR are discussed. Students are encouraged to share their areas of interest and provide support for one another.
In working to raise awareness, the GSA's activities include:
- Monthly general meetings
- ALLY Week (September 23-27)
- Recognition of LGBTQ+ History Month (October)
- Winter Drive for local charitable organizations
- Rainbow Connection Leadership Conference @ WCU (April)
- Day of Silence April 24, 2020
- Presentations to elementary, middle and high school faculties which focus on positive language and anti-bullying
- Guest speakers
Follow us on Twitter!